Any California resident can apply for a free Library card. Complete an application form and present a valid photo identification (Driver's license or government issued ID, Passport, or Student ID) and proof of your current address (utility bill, rent receipt, etc.) at the Circulation Desk.
In addition to the requirements above, the following are required for special cards:
Teacher cards: Proof of teaching employment (employee I.D., Pay Stub, or Letter of request on school/agency letterhead), and teach in Alhambra.
Children’s cards: Children from preschool through 8th grade must have a parent or legal guardian present to sign the application.
Visitor cards: Persons living outside the state of California can obtain a Visitor Card, valid up to 3 months. They must complete an application, provide photo I.D., proof of local temporary address, and of permanent address.
Computer Use Only cards: Patrons without proof of current address can obtain a “Computer Use Only” card upon presentation of photo I.D. This card provides immediate access to the Library computers and Internet access, valid up to six months. There are no borrowing privileges associated with this card. You may change this card to a Library card with full borrowing and computer/Internet privileges once proper identification and proof of address is provided.
Present your Alhambra Civic Center Library card each time you borrow materials. Your card cannot be used by anyone else.
- All patrons, except those with a Computer Use Only card, are eligible to borrow DVDs upon receipt of their Alhambra Civic Center Library Card.
- Report a lost card or change of address immediately.
- You are responsible for all items and fines/fees associated with your card and any child cards on which you have signed as parent/guardian.
- To avoid fines, return all items promptly. If you have fees exceeding $2.00, you will be notified when you check out materials and will be unable to use Library computers or check out eBooks until the fine is below $2.00.
Fiction and Non Fiction Borrowing Limits:
- 5 items per author or subject
- 5 items by format or collection (Genre, Audio, CDs, DVDs, etc.)
- 25 items checked out at a time
Teacher Card Limits:
- 30 items per teacher card (fines are accrued for late items), limited to 5 books per author and/or subject.
- 6 week loan period
- Loans are subject to approval by the Children's Librarian
- Books, Audio Materials, and Educational DVDs: 21 day Free Loan
- Entertainment Top Rental DVDs: 3 day/$1.00 Rental Loan
- All other Entertainment DVDs: 7 day/$1.00 Rental Loan
LATE FINES (OVERDUE FEES)
- Children's Items: $0.15 per day, per item
- Adult and YA Items: $0.25 per day, per item
- Entertainment DVDs: $1.00 per day, per item
General collection books and audio materials can be renewed one time for an additional 21 days unless another patron has placed a hold on that item. Entertainment DVDs and Interlibrary Loans cannot be renewed.
Overdue items can only be renewed in person at the Library.
Renew general collection books and audio materials by logging into your account on the Library Catalog. Please note that you will need your Library card number and 4-digit Library PIN or telephone number.
Holds/Reserves: Holds are free to place; however, if the item is not picked up within 7 days of notification, a fee of $0.50 per item (non-refundable) will be charged and the item(s) will be returned to the shelf.
To place holds/reserves online:
- Log into your account in the Library Catalog
- Search for the item in the catalog and click on the "reserve this item" button.
- To manage your reserves, click on the"My account" button after logging in. Then click on the "Reserves/Requests" tab.
- Holds expire 7 days after initial notification.
Please note that holds cannot be placed on Entertainment DVDs.
LOST AND MISSING ITEMS
If you have lost a Library item or if you believe an overdue item was returned, contact the Circulation Department at (626) 570-5028. The Library will assist you in locating missing items.
- Items not returned will be billed for the replacement cost plus a $10.50 processing fee. Damaged items will be billed for the cost of repair if possible, or for a replacement and processing fee.
- Collection Agency: Items not returned in 60 days are referred to the city’s collection agency. A $16.00 collection fee will be assessed for recovery costs.
LOST CARDS/CARD LOOKUP
Library Card Lookup:
- Library card holders in good standing who have forgotten their card and wish to borrow materials will be charged a $0.50 fee to look up Library card numbers.
- There is a $2.00 fee to replace a lost or damaged card.
- Library cards expire after 3 years; expired cards can be renewed by verifying contact information at the Circulation Desk.