DONATIONS OF BOOKS AND OTHER MATERIALS:
Donations of materials will be accepted by the Library within the following guidelines:
- Library staff will evaluate donations for inclusion in the collection in accordance with the Library Collection Development policy.
- Because the Library collection is actively used, no guarantee can be made that any gift will become a permanent addition.
- Donations become the property of the Alhambra Library. Materials may be added or discarded without consulting the original donor.
- Donations not added to the Library collection become the property of the Friends of the Alhambra Library.
- Fiction and nonfiction books (hard cover and paperbacks)
- DVDs, Blu-Rays, and audiobooks
- Clean copies of “classic” titles
We Cannot Accept:
- Books in poor condition (yellowing pages, broken bindings, musty smelling, etc.)
- Textbooks or reference materials (dictionaries, atlases, etc.)
- Reader’s Digest condensed books
- Outdated materials (old travel guides, nonfiction older than 5 years, etc.)
- Newspapers or Magazines
- VHS, CDs, or cassette tapes
The Library does not offer appraisal services.
Upon request, a receipt in the form of a letter acknowledging the donation will be given to the donor at the time of the donation. This letter may be used by the donor for tax purposes.
Value of Donation
In accordance with tax regulations, no dollar value will be stated in the letter of receipt.
Dropping off Donations:
Donations can be brought to the Library’s Check Out Desk during open business hours. The Library cannot return your containers, please pack the donations in bags or boxes that you do not need returned.
Larger donations that need Library Staff assistance in unloading require an appointment. Assistance can normally be provided between the hours of 11am - 4pm Monday through Saturday, and 2pm - 4pm on Sundays. Call the Check Out Desk at (626) 570-5008 to schedule a drop-off time. Additionally, once an appointment has been set, patrons should park their car on First Street, come into the building and approach the Check Out Desk.
Please make all monetary donations to the Library through the Alhambra Public Library Foundation.
Donations to the Foundation supports Library programming, summer reading, literacy, collection development, and more!
All donations are tax-deductible and go directly to supporting the Alhambra Library.
Please make checks payable to: Alhambra Public Library Foundation
Mail your check to:
Alhambra Library Foundation
101 S. First St.
Alhambra, CA 91801