Any California resident can apply for a free Library card. You can apply online or at the Library.
- Complete an online application (must visit the Library within 2 weeks to complete process)
- Show a valid photo ID (Driver's license or government-issued ID, Passport, or Student ID) and
- proof of your current address (utility bill, rent receipt, etc.)
- Children ages 0-12 must have a Library card to use computers in the children's area. A parent or legal guardian must be present to sign the application.
Computer Use Only cards: Patrons without proof of current address can apply at the Circulation Desk for a “Computer Use Only” card with a photo I.D. This card provides immediate access to the Library computers and Internet access and is valid for up to six months. There are no borrowing privileges associated with this card.
Visitor cards: Persons living outside the state of California can obtain a Visitor Card, valid for up to three months. Complete an application, provide photo I.D., proof of local temporary address, and of permanent address.
Teacher cards: Alhambra teachers can apply for a teacher card by showing proof of teaching employment (employee I.D., Pay Stub, or Letter of request on school/agency letterhead) in the city of Alhambra.
LOST CARDS/CARD LOOKUP
- There is a $0.50 fee to use a photo ID to check out materials. Library staff cannot provide library card numbers to check out materials or use the computers.
- There is a $2.50 fee to replace a lost card.
- Regular library cards expire after 3 years.
- Computer use only cards expire after 6 months.
- All expired cards must be renewed in-person at the Circulation Desk.
Present your Alhambra Civic Center Library card each time you borrow materials. Your card cannot be used by anyone else.
- Report a lost card or change of address immediately.
- You are responsible for all items and fines/fees associated with your card and any child cards on which you have signed as parent/guardian.
- You can return any item 24 hours a day, 7 days a week using one of our drop-boxes. A walk-up box is located on the First Street side of the building, between the Library and City Hall. A drive-up box is located on Second Street, just after the entrance to the Library's parking structure.
Material Borrowing Limits:
- 5 items per author or subject
- 5 items by format or collection (Genre, Audio, etc.)
- 25 items checked out at a time
Teacher Card Limits:
- 30 items per teacher card (fines are accrued for late items), limited to 5 books per author and/or subject.
- 6 week loan period
- 21 days for all materials
- Items without an existing hold can be renewed two times
- Most items with no pending reserves or holds may be renewed two times.
- Items with a hold on them cannot be renewed.
- For items not overdue, you may use the Text Messaging Renewal Service, log into your Library Catalog account online, or text (626) 741-3682.
- You will need your Library card number and PIN or telephone number. If your items are overdue you must visit the Library to renew your items in person.
- Overdue items may only be renewed at the Library if fines are cleared or if the fines/fees owed do not exceed $2.00.
To Renew via the Library Catalog:
On the top-right, log into your account by typing your entire library barcode number and your PIN (or phone number if you have not set up a PIN).
After logging in, click "My account" and select the "Items Out/Renewals" link at the top of the page. From here you can renew one or all of your checked out items.
To Renew via text messaging:
Simply reply to the text (SMS) message due date reminder you receive from the Library. Standard text rates apply. Please call Circulation or visit the Library to update your contact information to opt-in to these notification features.
If you have any questions or would like to renew over the phone, call the Circulation Desk at (626) 570-5028.
Holds are free to place; however, if the item is not picked up within 7 days of notification, a fee of $0.50 per item will be charged and the item(s) will be returned to the shelf.
To place holds/reserves online:
- Log into your account in the Library Catalog
- Search for the item in the catalog and click on the "reserve this item" button.
- To manage your reserves, click on the"My account" button after logging in. Then click on the "Reserves/Requests" tab.
- Holds expire 7 days after initial notification.
To place holds/reserves over the phone, please call the Reference Desk at (626) 570-3212 during Library hours.
LATE FINES (OVERDUE FEES)
- Children's Items: $0.15 per day, per item
- Adult and YA Items: $0.25 per day, per item
LOST AND MISSING ITEMS
If you have lost a Library item or if you believe an overdue item was returned, contact the Circulation Department at (626) 570-5028.
- Items not returned will be billed for the replacement cost, plus a $10.00 processing fee. Damaged items will be billed for the cost of repair if possible, or for a replacement and processing fee.
- Collection Agency: Items not returned in 60 days are referred to the city’s collection agency. A $16.00 collection fee will be assessed for recovery costs.